I've had two PET scans, numerous CT scans, a bone marrow biopsy, a few x-rays and they have all taken their toll on my mental stability. A week ago Friday I had my usual monthly meeting with my oncologist and she let me know that I had to get a PET scan in the next couple of days before my next chemo - and then she apologized for the "miscommunication". In my mind, I didn't have a need for a PET scan until I had done the full four months of chemo to see if the cancer was gone. However, they test for the cancer after only two months and if the person is in full remission at that point, then they finish up with two more rounds of chemo - just to make sure the cancer is good and gone. I have been dreading this next PET scan mostly because they strap my head down to the table (a "gentle reminder", as the techs always say) and I have to go in this tube for around 15 minutes - in and out, in and out. And since I let my mind run away with itself sometimes, as I am stuck in this tube, I start thinking how I can't get out. Even if I wanted to.Well, when my oncologist told me I would have this PET scan on Monday, that meant I only had two days to panic over this next PET scan. Oh, and I also worry about the results of said scan, not just the claustrophobic part. So, I spent the weekend trying to forget about Monday, but shockingly, Monday still came. My appointment was at 2 p.m. and at about 8 a.m. that morning, I informed Colin I would be taking an Ativan (my pills meant for nausea, but also have a very nice relaxing effect) before the appointment. Why spend the entire appointment being nervous when I didn't have to be, right? Colin warned me that I could get pulled over for driving under the influence if I took that pill. I politely informed him that I would take my chances. On the drive, however, I decided that perhaps I should lean on God instead of these marvelous little pills. As scary as that decision was, I began to pray. I prayed for a supernatural calm to take over while I would be in that machine. And God never arrives early, does He? :)
After they injected me with the IV dye and I had to let it "soak" for sixty minutes (I spent the time listening to my pastor on my iPhone, which helped), I headed into the scan. I was still nervous at this point. It wasn't until I was literally in the middle of the machine that I completely calmed down. And we aren't talking just mildly calm. I actually was thinking-about-the-chicken-noodle-soup-in-my-fridge-at-home calm. What a relief and and incredible answer to prayer.
Of course, I wouldn't ever judge anyone for taking that Ativan :) - this was just my experience with this particular scan.
2 comments:
GOD keeps his promises.."I will never leave you or forsake you".
xo
such a wise choice!
God says, taste and see that I am good :)
O that we could just trust more often - well, me anyway!
I'm so proud of you - seems strange to say that,sounds a little motherly, but I'm so proud :)
Post a Comment