Saturday, February 11, 2012

It's Getting Hard, Folks

Those of you who are very close to me have heard me complaining a bit more lately. Chemo is killing me, figuratively speaking, of course. Because ironically, it's the only thing that has saved my life. I'm coming to a point where I start thinking about my chemo Tuesday and dread it. Yesterday I found myself driving to pick up Jude from school with tears in my eyes at the thought of walking into that infusion clinic. I can almost feel the nausea setting in. Oh, wait. It never left. I can feel the deep bone aches and chills I get a week out from treatment. I can feel the spacey and speed-like ditzyness I get on my anti-nausea meds. I can almost feel the lack of immune system as these drugs decimate my white bloods cells. And you know what? I started itching again. It's muted greatly compared to when I was first diagnosed, but it's an unexplained itch. And if the cancer is truly out of my body, then I shouldn't be itching at all, right? What does that mean, you might ask? I really can't think too much about a relapse at this point because I might just curl up in the corner and have an emotional breakdown.

So, for those of you who see me in the next month during my last treatments, I need encouragement. I need to know that I can handle more weeks of nausea and fatigue and inability to keep up with my four sweet children. It's harder now in many ways than it ever has been up to this point. I see the end, but I don't feel it. And with cancer, you never know if more treatment or derailments are right around the corner. Be praying for me in every way possible.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Kami,
You are at the point now to where you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but feel like there is no strength to make it there.

I assure you, you WILL make it to the end. This is where your brain has to take over your physical body. It will now be a mental exercise and you must stay on top of it daily, hourly, and yes, sometimes minute by minute. This is where you must use positive thinking even when you can't even see or feel anything positive.

You are truly in the home stretch. This cancer journey, as all cancer journeys is a marathon, not a sprint. Right now you are tired and sick AND sick of being tired and sick. That's ok. At this point you must pluck any small thing from your day to focus on....any small POSITIVE thing, that is.

As for the itching, well we pray it is nothing more than a side effect of anxiety over facing more chemo. The mind is a powerful tool. Use it to your advantage. I know, easier said than done. BUT, remember who you are hearing all this from. I've been there, done that. I speak from true experience. And I'm not telling you to do anything that I did not make myself do.

I will call you for sure this afternoon/evening. Stay strong and know that you are fiercely loved!!!!!

Much Love,
Michelle

Erin said...

Wishing you the knowledge that you are deeply love and moments of peace in the struggle.

Erin said...

Wishing you the knowledge that you are deeply loved and moments of peace. I'm sure you are exhausted and just wanting to return to your life as you used to now it. Every day will not be like this. There will be a time where you can relax and reflect back. Right now you are still in it. Your body, heart and soul has endured a lot. You have confronted your own mortality, spent sleepless nights, given so much over to God. You have come so far in your healing in just a few months. Let that knowledge be your momentum. You called on all your reserves. You have dug deep. Now is a time to coast on the love and support of others. There are so many with you, holding you in love and light. Thank you for letting us know. You will never be alone in this.

Lap Dog Knits said...

i am praying for you...I know God is very close with you - very close.
He will carry you through this - one day the cancer will be a part of the past...hold tight.

very tight and know this message comes along with a loving hug from me.

Europe 2025. PDX to Rome, Day 1.

This trip was many months in the making. I actually love making travel plans and this one was no exception. The difference here was that t...