Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Vaccines

I know. I know. Vaccines are a very controversial subject. However, I have taken the few spare moments I have (not really - I actually perused the above book in a drive through Starbucks right before I had to return it to the library) to skim this book and boy was I shocked and scared. I began my vaccine research with Dr. Sears book on vaccines and then moved onto this one. With the boys, we just vaccinated for everything (minus the flu vaccine - does that one ever even work?) on schedule. However, with Juliet, I feel that she is a bit more fragile and really should only be three weeks old right now, so I'm taking this decision much more seriously. We did vaccinate her last week for the DTAP vaccine. What surprised me about the other ones, according to this book, is that some vaccines are linked to cancer and this author has the medical journal references to back it up (as listed in the back of this book). He also states the likelihood of a child actually getting the particular disease. I will be purchasing this on Amazon.

It's a very interesting topic to research and if I were a college student again, I would love to write a lengthy paper on my findings. Leave a comment if you have strong vaccine feelings either way - I'd love to know what others think.


Oh, and please don't leave a scathing remark - I do realize vaccines have virtually eliminated these diseases - I just find it interesting to know the nitty gritty details of what these vaccines are made of and how a child may react to them.

4 comments:

team woelfel said...

i know. . . i read that book and was totally freaked out about it. i found one good site, but i can't find now about an altered schedule of vaccinations. here was one i found while looking

http://www.articlesbase.com/alternative-medicine-articles/a-conservative-vaccine-schedule-for-concerned-parents-136740.html

trust your gut!

Mama Rak said...

Juliet looks so big & healthy! Hopefully she is recovering from the illness that landed her back in ICU....it appears she's doing great! So adorable :)

Nic

Jacki R. said...

Hi Kami, I just got something in the mail you might be interested in?! Doernbecher is having a free lecture on April 7th called "Childhood Vaccines: Separating Faction from Fiction" for one hour in the evening. Maybe it would help ease your mind! We feel that since Emma was a preemie we want her to be protected from as much as possible, so vaccines are a must in our book!
https://www.ohsu.edu/health/lectures/spring_2009/childhood_vaccines_separating_fact_from_fiction.cfm

BETHANY said...

I'm neither pro- or anti-vaccine. I do, however, think it's important for parents to educate themselves before making decisions about vaccinating. What is best for one family may not be best for another, and that's ok. And that's why I generally don't share what we do.

Both sides use facts and emotion to influence your decision. My only suggestion is to try to research as objectively as possible.

The one thing that I'm surprised so few people realize is that there are vaccines derived from the cell lines of babies that were aborted in the 1960s. That's a deal breaker for some and not for others, but it's certainly something to factor into your decision. This is a Catholic site that lets you know which vaccinations come from the cell lines of aborted babies - http://www.cogforlife.org/

I encourage parents to understand what they're doing and know why they're doing it before making medical decisions for their kids. Trust your doctor, but don't forget to use the brain God blessed you with either. :)

Europe 2025. PDX to Rome, Day 1.

This trip was many months in the making. I actually love making travel plans and this one was no exception. The difference here was that t...