Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Highly Recommended Recipes

Ok, I always have to share recipes that are life changing. Can you tell I'm passionate about cooking? I found these breakfast bars in Good Housekeeping - yep, I skimmed it. Is that an old lady magazine or is it just me? Anyway, here's a picture of what they look like.And here is the recipe:

Ingredients
1/2 cup(s) vegetable oil
1/2 cup(s) honey
2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
1 large egg
2 cup(s) old-fashioned oats, uncooked
3/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup(s) (packed) light brown sugar
1/2 cup(s) sliced almonds
1/2 cup(s) toasted wheat germ
1/2 cup(s) raisins
3/4 teaspoon(s) salt
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 13" by 9" metal baking pan with nonstick foil (if not using nonstick, lightly grease foil).
2. In 2-cup liquid measuring cup, stir oil, honey, vanilla, and egg until mixed. In large bowl, with fork, mix oats, flour, sugar, almonds, wheat germ, raisins, and salt until combined. With rubber spatula, stir honey mixture into oat mixture until blended; scrape into prepared pan. With wet hand, pat oat mixture evenly into pan.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until pale golden around edges. Cool completely in pan on wire rack, about 1 hour.
4. When cool, transfer using foil to cutting board. Cut lengthwise into 4 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 6 pieces. Store in tightly sealed container at room temperature up to 2 weeks.


This next recipe is from the Pioneer Woman website- have I ever mentioned how amazing she is at pretty much everything? So, I'm not the biggest fan of pork, but this Spicy Shredded Pork is to die for and great for burritos and leftovers are good for all sorts of things, including soup. Here's a link to the recipe:


1 comment:

AshlandFive said...

So, I'm all out of granola bars...thinking..."What could I put in the kid's lunch tomorrow that will bless their tummies at school. I happen to have all these ingredients! Thanks Kam!

Europe 2025. PDX to Rome, Day 1.

This trip was many months in the making. I actually love making travel plans and this one was no exception. The difference here was that t...