Friday, December 14, 2007

Attempt at Christmas Cards



After toiling over Photoshop in an attempt to create my own Christmas card template, I'd come up with one I was pleased with. After uploading this one to Costco's website, I realized I forgotten to resize the paper and wound up with a document that was 8x10, and really, who has postage for 40-50 envelopes of that size? I realize I still have no clue what I'm doing, but I've created a completly different card on another 4x6 layout. Do note that I have done this after spending hours handmaking 14 Christmas cards. Ugh!

Christmas cookies have not begun, but we did decorate our Christmas tree tonight. I'm feeling absolutely overwhelmed this year as far as gifts (meaning the number of recipients on my list) are concerned. I've tried to pinpoint the exact moment at which the true meaning of Christmas was lost among the gift lists and trips to various retailers. Further, how can I hurredly come up with Christian traditions (customized to our little family) to pass down to my boys, so as to not water down the roots of what Christmas is, when I am so busy aiming to please 30+ people on a shoestring budget? Ahh!!! There has got to be a better way to do this. Maybe I start the '08 Christmas shopping the day after Christmas this year? Pass your suggestions my way, if you have some...

3 comments:

JSTA said...

Kami,

Great job on the blog! I agree about Christmas gifts - too overwhelming. I saw an article in the Oregonian about a movement (can't remember the name, of course) with the idea of reducing your spending by at least 30% and replacing the craziness by giving that 30% (or ideally more) charitably instead of on gifts. You can buy animals or clothing or a portion of a new clean water well at gfa.org or Samaritan's Purse or plenty of other charitable organizations. Or you could give locally to a Rescue Mission or a Women's and Children's ministry or any number of other great causes. Then, you give your 30+ people a card saying that you've honored them by helping others in such and such a way. Then you can focus on YOUR family and YOUR traditions instead of the chaos. I haven't completely implemented it this year, but the little bit I have done has taken the edge off my stress level and has helped me enjoy the season a little more.

BTW, I LOVE that Christmas card you made - BEAUTIFUL! You are so creative. :-)

Nicole Wynn said...

kami,

This year our family decided not to draw names and do the traditional gifts. Instead we have adopted a family that we found through the church that is in need. It has been a lot less stressfull helping out a family who really needs help, it's also brought the family together. Everyone has just pitched in what they can afford to make this family happy. It's been really great!

Nicole Wynn

team woelfel said...

your pictures are gift enough! i wanted to make things for everyone, but it's hard to get things done with a little munch kin. you are a talented photographer. just getting people christmas cards is gift enough from me this year. i can't feel bad about it, i don't have money nor energy for gifts for most. i wish i could be of more help!

Europe 2025. PDX to Rome, Day 1.

This trip was many months in the making. I actually love making travel plans and this one was no exception. The difference here was that t...