Thursday, November 10, 2016

Week In The Life 2016 - Monday

Monday was a school-heavy day. I'm glad we have these, because most weeks, we skip days of school and rely on these days to get us through. Heavy focus on math facts today and Bible. I need to be ok with leaving out Language Arts, when the whole reason we are homeschooling is for the Christian education.

This kid gets so much attention from every member of this family. He's a classic baby of the family.
This week's study for Boss' kindergarten is apples (focusing on the letter "A"). We read a couple of library books about apples.
Colin is forever researching house projects or property in the woods on his iPad/phone.
Mid-morning, Samuel and Colin crash during school. The chaos continues around them as we school.
The dinner table is mostly clear of clutter - a rarity for us these days. Most days it's the hub of our family and the main place we do business, covered with coloring books, school, magazines, etc.,.
These days Jude loathes pictures. He hides most of the time before I can snap a good shot.
I manage to get showered and ready for the day today - a big feat in this stage of life. Most of the time I workout, but don't get to shower until evening.
I cook two breakfasts a day, usually. This week has offered me the chance to reflect on WHY. I cook oatmeal for Sis and Boss and eggs for the rest of the house. Boss prefers oatmeal, so I go with it. Maybe someday I will pick the battle of forcing him to eat protein for breakfast. Today is not that day.
Showering feels so amazing after a run. It's my time to pray, think, mentally plan the day, not think, feel, decide, etc.,. Oddly enough, no one really bothers me in the shower anymore.
Zumba! I love Zumba and do it 2-3 times a week in addition to running. Tammy is a great instructor. I think mostly, group fitness at the gym has become a place of adult time and camaraderie for me. An escape from responsibility and stress.
The kids don't usually stumble downstairs until 7:30 in the morning these days - at least the little ones do. The olders I usually call downstairs to start their day sometime around 8:30. They stay in their room and read, play, relax. It seems like yesterday they were waking so early and I had no time to myself. I do believe we have entered a new season.
Samuel and Boss have developed an interesting relationship as of late. Samuel half parents him/half plays with him. Samuel will often dictate to me the ridiculous things Boss has done, said, etc.,.
I start a reading session with Boss and it blossoms into three kids listening. I love that they love all sorts of read aloud stories.
Samuel practices his typing and Spanish with headphones on. He's a competitive, motivated student that can't wait to get done with school so he can move on with some sports related activity.
I woke Samuel up as I snuck in their room Monday morning. He wakes with a smile - a trait I really love about this kid. Always smiling.
I love pictures of us teaching together. Colin excels at math, I excel and language. We work well together. Often we are overwhelmed by the chaos, but are always glad we homeschool.
Juliet loves her Cruz cousins more than life itself. Recently, she has taken to Facetiming them in the evening. She has a trip to Great Wolf Lodge that she's going to on Wednesday with them and they are all so excited.
This school day, I allow the kids to do Boss' kinder project on the fruit of the spirit. Everyone except Jude joins in. I'm letting them take breaks to do these kind of little kid projects because I think everyone can learn from simple art projects. 
Meals today: breakfast - oatmeal with raisins and fried eggs; lunch: turkey sandwich for everyone but me, salad for me; dinner: coconut curry chicken over rice noodles.
Observations: Boss actually wore a shirt today (as noted by Samuel). Kids fight all the time - we are in that season. Most of the kids have colds. Working out seems to manage stress and emotions for me.

Gratitude: I'm thankful for a cozy fire! I'm thankful for a husband that can fix things (cars, this week) and remodel (creating a front porch). I'm also thankful for family pictures.
 Overheard: Sis: "You should dissect his ear wax!" after Boss proudly shows Colin how dirty his ears are.
Favorite moment: Boss' belly laughs as Colin tickles him during school this morning. 



No comments:

Europe 2025. PDX to Rome, Day 1.

This trip was many months in the making. I actually love making travel plans and this one was no exception. The difference here was that t...