Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I'm With Alexander

Odd title, I know. Allow me to explain. Have you ever read "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day"? I have. We own it and have small children. And anyone that has small children and books gets to read them over and over to the point of memorization. But that's for a different post. Yesterday felt like a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. It started with DMV. Let me back up, it began with Samuel waking me up, which meant that the others were soon to follow (others, being the other children). When I don't wake up by 5:30 before everyone, I do not get a shower before 2 p.m.. So, we had breakfast at which point Colin informed me that I needed to take the car into DMV for tags pronto. Ugh. Off to DMV I went, unshowered. I did manage to bring two magazines with me, which was a good thing because my ticket number was 81 - and they were just calling number 61. A long while later I was back at home. Jude began his usual antics and the baby was a big snotty, teething mess. At 2 p.m., while Juliet was down for her nap, I snuck in a shower. During this amazing shower, I realized that it was indeed Monday. On Monday Samuel has preschool. Neither Colin nor myself remembered it was preschool day until too late. I then dove into cutting a pattern, which I cut incorrectly and threw in the fire as a statement of rebellion to no one in particular. After the kids woke up, I was exhausted from staying up too late the night before, so I sat on the floor and let Juliet crawl all over me while I dazed at the TV. The kids destroyed the house. Dinner rolled around. Jude puked up half his dinner - during dinner - slime oozing from his fingers onto the floor. At this point I lost my appetite. We managed to put the children away for the night around 7:30 and I was in bed at 8.

I did manage to snap some pictures yesterday. Colin so lovingly took the high energy boys outside on the lawnmower. Juliet watched.
Juliet also ate my refried beans and loved every bite.


Finger lickin' good.

I woke up before 5 a.m. today, bound to have a better day. All my chores were near complete by the time the kiddos woke up around 6:45. The baby is playing happily at my feet and I've caught up on sleep. All bad days must come to an end.

3 comments:

BETHANY said...

Yep, that's a pretty lousy day. Glad today was better. :)

Sherri B. said...

Thank the Lord that those really, really bad days don't come along that often...you can look back and say "this day was bad but not as bad as the no shower till 2:00 pm. DMV affair, Jude hurling at the dinner table etc....day".

abby jane said...

goodness that's early. i so miss sleeping in!

Europe 2025. PDX to Rome, Day 1.

This trip was many months in the making. I actually love making travel plans and this one was no exception. The difference here was that t...