Thursday, March 6, 2008

Book Plan Changed

Well, after only a few pages into "Wicked", I decided to stop reading it. I'm glad I started getting books at the libary because I do this with many books. Often the book doesn't jive with my moral compass - as was the last read I attempted "Me and Mr. Darcy". The book had a pretty decent premise (a new offspin of a love for Mr. Darcy from "Pride and Prejudice" taking place in modern day), but the vulgarity got to me immediately. Similarly, "Wicked" started out with a description among munchkins, I believe, that was full on pornographic language and really unecessary for the plot. It's frustrating, because a different viewpoint on the Wizard of Oz is a terrific idea, wholly ruined by vulgar imagery. Why do artists (both authors and those in the movie industry) think that the audience is so dumbed down that the only think holding us to the screen or page is sexual images and descriptions? Are we really there as a society? Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. But, I do want to apologize to the girls of the book exchange to which I suggested this book (especially Nicole, she already read it), because it doesn't represent anything of a favorite book of mine. So, I am now starting "Sophie's Choice" - I am not endorsing it yet, but the first couple pages seem pretty decent.

3 comments:

team woelfel said...

i agree that very rarely do explicit things add value to any story, or movie for that matter. i appreciate your opinion and although i don't have time right now for reading non-school matieral it's still nice to get some feedback about books!

Sarah said...

I have avoided "Wicked" for some time, after hearing Kelly's review of it. When Kelly doesn't even find something redeemable, then you know it must be bad. It's such a shame, because the musical is really fun!

I was still considering giving it a chance, because you were reading it, but now it's off my list for good. Sorry for your disappointment, friend! Come over to my house and borrow one of my books ;)

Jillian Weiss said...

Good to know. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea either. I 100% agree about the fact that many books, movies too, are ruined by writer's adding these touches. One thing I love about Jane Austen is that she avoids those pitfalls while still creating a great romance.
Let us know about Sophie's Choice as you get into it.

Europe 2025. PDX to Rome, Day 1.

This trip was many months in the making. I actually love making travel plans and this one was no exception. The difference here was that t...