Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Which Is the Best Way To Vote?

I've felt bombarded lately with the news about the presidential candidates. I felt I avoided the research for each candidate as long as I possibly could, so while feeling under the weather this weekend, I took the opportunity to go on each one's website and see what their platforms are. And after several conversations with Colin, close friends and other family members, I have had one lingering question: does one vote for (1) the "lesser of two evils", meaning voting for the candidate that has the best chance of winning, but not necessarily exactly in line with your views, or (2) the candidate that is closest to your views/morals, but has really no chance of winning whatsoever. I find myself stuck between just that rock and hard place - I could vote for the person who has a better chance of winning, or I could vote for the person I truly believe in, but literally throw my vote away. Does anyone find themselves in the same quandary? Does anyone care about this election yet?

2 comments:

Mama Rak said...

I think you've really put a great perspective on how to vote, because you are basically making the choices very cut and dry. As with everything, we are supposed to follow our hearts, so I think you're supposed to vote based on who you agree with. You may feel that's just throwing away your vote, but if everyone votes this way, your candidate may have a shot. If everyone just votes for the person who has the best chance of winning, that candidate does not truly represent the views of the people and it's a mere popularity contest.

team woelfel said...

I care a lot. It is really hard when truly it's hard to believe what people in politics say because a lot of times I feel like they are just saying what people want to hear. For some reason it's just hard to trust people who get into politics. But as jaded as I feel I think people really need to get involved with the process and be informed about the issues. I was talking to my parent's friend and I was like: what can I do? I feel like nothing I do will make any difference. He said do you write you congressmen? I said no. It's hard to find time to do things like that when life is so full already but I think the most important issues are the social ones. Health care, education, the economy and the enviroment. Taking care of the people of this country. I think you should vote following your heart. There should come a time when there may be more that just 2 parties but until then vote for who you believe would do the best job. I am hopeful for a very positive change!

Europe 2025. PDX to Rome, Day 1.

This trip was many months in the making. I actually love making travel plans and this one was no exception. The difference here was that t...