Thursday, March 13, 2008

Jude's Growing Up!!


It seems that babies, in the first year at least, have reach developmental milestones almost daily. Yesterday seemed like a big one for Jude. I have been trying sign language with him since he was about 8 months old - nothing major, usually just a few like "eat" "all done" "milk" and then of course the usual waving and clapping. Yesterday, he picked up a sign in one day! He signed "hot" after I put a warm item of food on his high chair. He has been signing "all done" at the high chair for a few weeks and its wonderful. Baby's that learn to sign are supposed to be less frustrated because they can communicate before they can talk - we'll see. I'll keep working with him because he seems very interested.
I chose to post this picture because it includes the most coveted toy in our house - the boys fight over this toy every day, which is absurd because it was a Christmas present for Jude and Samuel claimed it as his own, being too big for it and all. If I want Samuel to get anything done, I ask him to ride the toy airplane and pick up his toys, etc.,.

5 comments:

Strauss House said...

That's so encouraging about the sign language. I've been wanting to start a few with Cade, too ("all done", "help", "more", etc), so I'm glad to hear how easily they can pick up on it!

Sarah said...

What a big boy! He's almost lost his neck meat and second chin :(

lundbergfamily said...

Do I see a mullet in progress???

Kami said...

Confirmed - we are letting him grow a mullet. Samuel did around this age as well!

JSTA said...

I don't think the fighting over toys will ever end! I'm just hopeful we'll end the fighting over the bathroom sink in our new house (I'm pushing really hard for the installation of double sinks downstairs in the boys' bathroom for that reason! :-) With my luck, though, they'll both have the same favorite sink and will still find a reason to fight over that one. It's so funny - mine really do seem to love it. Whenever we split them up for a few hours, they miss each other terribly. We don't miss the fighting, but they clearly do. It must serve some developmental purpose, right? Like the development, albeit painfully slow, of negotiating skills. :-) Or maybe it's just that pesky sin nature doing its thing. Either way, we moms had better get used to it, cuz it's apparently gonna be a fact of our lives for a long time to come.

p.s. - Miss you, Kami. Hope you and the family have a great Easter!

Europe 2025. PDX to Rome, Day 1.

This trip was many months in the making. I actually love making travel plans and this one was no exception. The difference here was that t...