Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Baby McGladrey - Day 4 In NICU

Well, Baby McGladrey is now 4 days old and I have to say a huge thank you to all that are praying for her - those prayers are being answered in a huge way! As you can see by these photos, her CPAP (the huge intimidating oxygen thing) attached to her face was removed at 9 a.m. today and she is breathing wonderfully on her own. Her tube feedings of breast milk have been steadily increasing and as of noon today, she sucked down a bottle all by herself (it was a small bottle, but still)!! This is truly a miracle to me that she is progressing so quickly. They have her on the bilirubin lights for her jaundice, which is normal for a preemie. I got to hold her for the first time last night and I think I experienced a little piece of heaven....she is such a little angel.
We are traveling back and forth from home to the hospital one to two times a day (we miss her so much when we are away). Tomorrow I get to try and breastfeed her, but I won't expect too much because I know her suck reflex wouldn't be that of a full term baby. Keep checking the blog - I plan on telling my oh-so-interesting labor story next.

Look how huge Colin's hand looks to her!!
Here's a close up - she's still pretty puffy, but I'm starting to see some features peek through!

Here are the bilirubin lights under her blanket.
Here's another close up.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Ugh, you're right. That *is* a hideous blanket that they've wrapped her in. But she is a little muffin! So sweet and tiny! We can't wait to meet her ;)

We'll be keeping your family in our prayers!

Unknown said...

What a little darling! Glad to hear she's doing so well. :o) I always wonder what great plans God has for them when they have such a tough start. Small and Mighty!!

Strauss House said...

She's so precious, Kami!

Nicole Wynn said...

kami she is soo sweet. I have been thinking of your family constantly and the praying is definately paying off!!!

Europe 2025. PDX to Rome, Day 1.

This trip was many months in the making. I actually love making travel plans and this one was no exception. The difference here was that t...