Saturday, December 20, 2008

NICU Day 7 - Juliet is one week old!

I can't believe it's been a week already!! Juliet was wide awake this morning and it was so incredibly hard to leave her, but the weather was quite dangerous, so we only had about 1 1/2 hour at the hospital. She breast fed incredibly well this time and took the bottle a bit after that. The rest of the milk was fed through her tube. Apparently she had a "spell" (what the nurses refer to as not breathing, heart rate drop, saturation drop, etc). Her heart rate and saturation dropped. Since she has to be free from spells for 5-7 days, we may not be bringing her home as soon as expected. I find a strange comfort in that, though. I am terrified of bringing home a baby that may stop breathing or can't control her body temperature. I am hoping to make it to the hospital tomorrow, but we'll see if the weather permits. Here are some pics:
Her preemie diapers are so big on her!! It's so hard to change those diapers with some many wires going to and fro.
We left her like this - she was tired from our visit. Eating, staring, burping - it's all very exhausting =).

Colin and Juliet - so smitten with each other.

Here I am burping her - she's like jello in my hands. It's very intimidating holding a baby this small! Her eyes look black at this point - I think genetically they can only turn out to be blue or green, though.

4 comments:

Nicole Wynn said...

wow! she looks better and better everyday!! by the way I love the name. Can't wait to hear more updates.

team woelfel said...

like my mom always says god never gives you more than you can bare. . . you were made to be her mama! you'll know exactly what to do!

JSTA said...

KAMI...Congratulations! Your beautiful baby brings me to tears...I am so thankful she is doing well, and I am so sorry it had been more than a week since I last checked your blog! What a whirlwind! Now that I know she's here, I'll be praying lots for Juliet and the rest of you all! Hang in there and be safe in this tough weather. Much Love and Many Prayers!!! ~Sarah

Sarah said...

She's so sweet and tiny! I can't wait to hold her! ;)

Europe 2025. PDX to Rome, Day 1.

This trip was many months in the making. I actually love making travel plans and this one was no exception. The difference here was that t...